|source: Menhaded Defenders|
Ironic: Wild populations are being decimated to feed fish raised in pens.
Today is the last day to get comments in on this important issue that protects the food for wild Stripers and Bluefish.
The Menhaden Defenders organization has put a handy tool out there to help you add your voice to the discussion. It only takes about 2 minutes to fill out the form and make your voice heard.
The regulations that you're asking to be enacted will ask for
- 50 percent reduction in landings
- Start date no later than the 2013 fishing season
- New target of 30 percent MSP (maximum spawning potential) must be reached within three years
- Consistent reporting in both the industrial fishery and the smaller bait fishery operating largely in New Jersey and Virginia
- Allocation of the fishery to support small bait harvesters
Thanks for your support.